Visit the CDC website for guidelines, advisable protocols, and the latest information.
What to expect if you have COVID-19:
Symptom Management and Treatment When You Have COVID-19:
Breathing exercises that may help with shortness of breath are as follows:
Pursed lip breathing exercises:
- Sitting upright or slightly reclining, relax your neck and shoulder muscles.
- With your mouth closed, inhale through the nose for 2 seconds, as if smelling a flower.
- Exhale slowly (for 4 seconds if possible) through pursed lips, as if blowing out birthday candles.
- Repeat inhalation and exhalation cycles for 2 minutes, several times a day when needed.
Deep breathing exercises:
- Recline in bed or on a sofa with a pillow under your head and knees. If reclining is not possible, this may be done while sitting upright.
- Place one hand on your belly, the other on your chest.
- Slowly inhale through your nose; let your lungs fill with air, allowing your belly to rise. (The hand on the belly should move more than the hand on the chest.)
- Breathe out through your nose, and as you exhale, feel your belly lower.
- Repeat the inhalation and exhalation cycles for 2 to 5 minutes several times a day and when needed.
How to isolate when you have COVID-19 and protect others:
When it is time to go to the hospital: